QINOUS LIVE EXPERIENCE
The QINOUS test facility in Berlin showcases the functionality and performance of our energy storage solutions in on-grid and off-grid scenarios.
In this facility, we also administer enhancement tests of our micro-grid and energy management software. If needed, we conduct additional functionality tests after standard factory acceptance tests.
The QINOUS test facility represents a typical layout of a real 100 kW micro-grid.
The micro-grid AC bus-bar is isolated from the utility grid with two frequency converters. One converter is used to simulate the consumer load profile. The other converter is used to simulate the renewable energy feed-in load profile (e.g. wind or solar). Both load profiles are freely adjustable to be able to test any given real-world application.
For on-grid scenarios we can simulate frequency regulation and voltage stabilization as well as peak shaving and load shifting. We showcase how to increase self-consumption of renewable energies and how the system can be used for energy trading, ramp-rate control and back-up power.
For off-grid scenarios a conventional diesel generator is included to demonstrate the behaviour of the battery inverters in diesel parallel and diesel OFF operations, as well as when switching between these operations.
Two battery systems are installed to test the behaviour of the different technologies in single and in parallel operation of the batteries during such diesel operations.
Grid faults and short-circuit behaviour are also simulated to test the energy storage solution’s response to critical events.
- 100 kW / 112 kWh QINOUS ESS with lithium-ion batteries
- 30 kW / 80 kWh QINOUS ESS with aqueous-hybrid-ion batteries
- 150 kW diesel generator with multiple controllers (Deif, DSE, etc)
- 100 kW Solar and wind feed-in simulator
- 100 kW Load profile simulator
- Energy management system and site controller
OPERATIONS AND TESTS:
- Normal island mode operation with either the battery/batteries or the diesel generator as the grid forming device
- Transition between grid-forming devices in both directions
- Operation of two battery systems in parallel
- Solar and wind feed-in for any given profile (freely adjustable)
- Load profile for any given profile (freely adjustable)
- Sudden load drops / load spikes (100% step-response)
- Three phase and single phase short-circuit test to ground and between phases
- Battery overloading (e.g. to bridge a diesel generator start sequence)
MEASUREMENTS AND TEST RESULTS:
The picture shows a typical scenario in a diesel-pv-battery hybrid grid during diesel off operation. The battery forms a stable and reliable grid. Frequency and voltage are kept within the power quality limits of EN 50160 anytime, whether the consumer load suddenly changes or the renewable load suddenly drops.